Sunday, 28 July 2013

Old Beaupre Castle.

If you like to get a sense of history from old buildings that lay in ruins, then I think you would like Old Beaupre Castle nestling in the Vale of Glamorgan.  I believe that this little-known manor house that depicts a grandeur back in its heyday is another of many great places to visit in Wales.

We had to cross a field of some young Welsh Black cattle to reach who were quite playful and kept chasing after us as we walked along. Fortunately, I spent a lot of my youth on farms and know that these curious animals mean no harm, but my wife was not so convinced!  A clap of my hands sent them frolicking across the field and I got the impression that they thought is terrific fun to play with the visitors! 

Anyway, they say a picture paints a thousand words, so if you are into visiting old ruins the pictures will give an idea of the interesting stonework, and of the sort of atmosphere this building held and the wealthy people who lived there over the centuries.... 

The approach to Beaupre Castle


The Main Gate
(Closed at 4pm)


The Coat of Arms


The Courtyard

The Walls (sans roof)

One of the windows from the courtyard.









No comments:

Post a Comment